Unfortunately, collars and tags can be mislaid or be removed. Microchipping you pet is a permanent solution, and now since the 31st March 2016, it is now a legal requirement. We inject a tiny microchip with a code unique to your pet. It is injected under the skin in the same way we inject vaccines. The price of the chip includes registering you and your pet on a national database.
Lost pets are usually handed into local vets, dog wardens, ISPCA, etc. Your pet will be scanned for a microchip and if found to have one then the national database will be contacted to get your details. You will be contacted immediately. If your details change (e.g. you move to a new house) or your pet has ongoing medical needs (e.g. diabetic) this information can be recorded and updated on the database file, without your pet’s microchip having to be changed.
If your pet goes missing….
It is very upsetting when your furry friend becomes lost. However, many are found again, and we hope that this information will help you to find them.
- If your pet already has a microchip, telephone the identichip provider e.g Fido, Animar
- Telephone all local vets – they will have a ‘Lost and Found’ register.
- Print posters and distribute these locally
- Contact local rescue centres such as ISPCA etc.
- Contact your local dog warden